Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Burrows & Badgers: My Miniatures Game For 2019

Burrows & Badgers is the only miniatures game I am going to consider playing in the foreseeable future. Being a long-term wargamer of nearly twenty years I have a vast amount of miniatures, bitz and more within my collection but right now that is all getting filed away for another day.


Why is this? Much like with role-playing games, I don't get to actually play wargames very often nowadays. This will be something that no doubt many people have experienced when it comes to wargames and more often than not we spend more time planning lists and building/painting armies than we do actually playing.

However, in my current environment, I don't have dedicated wargamers on hand. Only two of my friends actively still collect miniatures and paint them, and only one of them has been able to get in a game or two in I would hazard to guess at what now amounts to a year! So, as you might imagine, it's quite hard to get anything like a campaign or regular sets of games going.

With that in mind, I had to try and choose a wargame that I could play with very little effort involved upfront and something that really caught the attention of those few friends who still look at metal, plastic and resin. After that rather long introduction, I reiterate that Burrows & Badgers is going to be that game.

Capturing The Imagination

When I reviewed Burrows & Badgers, published by Osprey Games but a long-running passion project for Oathsworn Miniatures, I had already fallen in love with the game. It mashed together the worlds of Redwall with its anthropomorphic characters and campaign games of old which hold a special place in my heart, namely Mordheim.

Add into that a wonderfully interesting world packed with characters that we want to know more about by the day and charming sculpts by the Oathsworn team and you have a game which looks back to the old school but also provides wargamers with something new and interesting in terms of aesthetics.

Whilst the game is a great feat indeed one of the things that got me really excited to actually play this game was the fact that the miniature were all one piece metal products making them a doddle to put together and thanks to the way they've been sculpted, very quick to paint too. Each one of them is a joy to get stuck into, packed with character and nicely designed so that you can get to work with some simple block colours and basic techniques, achieving a wonderful end result...even as a newbie.

I have a rather expansive collection of critters now from the Burrows & Badgers range and it is set to grow once again with the delivery of another of their Kickstarter projects in 2019. Whilst this seems like a lot of miniatures to have in your collection, having to worry about getting a handful of miniatures ready for the tabletop is a much more manageable prospect for someone looking to play some games.

Whilst there are plenty of other games out there which are worthy of attention, namely SAGA, Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game and even a golden oldie in Legends Of The Old West, I just can't see myself getting anyone to actually collect and paint these ranges...at least from my close-knit group of friends. However, Burrows & Badgers has taken root in their imaginations and hopefully, 2019 is going to be the year when I really get to delve deeper into this game with a set-up in a new home.

Looking To The Future

I tend to spend a lot of time talking about the joy that I feel when I play this game, paint its miniatures or just tinker with creating warbands and whilst it might be a bit fanboy-like...it's well founded. Many other people have felt the same level of connection with this game and whilst I will no doubt be playing more games with my friends next year I'll also be looking to go to more of the community-driven tournaments that are being set up too.

If you haven't checked out Burrows & Badgers before then I would very much recommend you do so. You can see the collection of miniatures HERE as well as a review of the game itself from yours truly HERE.

Maybe you're already playing the game? If you are, make sure to drop your thoughts in the comments below and tell me what miniatures are your favourites!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar