Christina at
A Colourful Life asked me recently to participate in a blog hop entitled "Why I Write". It came at a good time for me; writing is something I've always loved, but lately I've been wondering if there are ways I could incorporate it more into my life. Thinking about why I write has been a helpful exercise. So here they are, my out loud thoughts.
What am I working on?
Along with
Annie,
Gillian,
Sandra and
Jennifer I write a Colour Collaborative post every month, looking at a particular word in the context of colour and inspiration. It's something I always enjoy doing, and it's been good for me to have my writing directed a little.
I'm also working on the courage to sign up for a writing course. It's something I've long wanted to do, and it comes highly recommended by a friend, so I'm not really sure what I'm waiting for. I feel as though I'm holding my breath, almost ready to take the plunge, and yet when it gets to that moment when I need to press the button, I back away and save it for another day.
I've tried to analyse why I'm doing this. What's holding me back? What I am afraid of? One of the answers I have is lack of time. Such a cliché I know. I don't want to give up anything I do now. I don't want to have less time for the children or less time for all of the domestic things that go into making a decent home life. But I'm very aware that so many people do find the time for everything. I think I'm scared I won't manage it. And maybe a little of it is facing the fact that things are changing. The children aren't tiny any more, and they don't need me quite so much. Finding something that I want to do should be a positive thing, no?
So I do think that I've pretty much decided to do the course. The only real question left is when should I start, now or in September? The next ten weeks will no doubt be busy. But I worry that by September my enthusiasm will have waned. Did I ever mention that I am absolutely TERRIBLE at making decisions? I can spent fifteen minutes in the toothpaste aisle at the supermarket weighing up which one to buy. It's another reason I don't like change. Too much to think about. My middle boy is very much the same. If you ask him what he wants to do you can wait days and days for an answer. Every little detail is agonised over. Should I, shouldn't I? Soon, now? Colgate, Aquafresh? We don't like to rush into anything.
How does my writing differ from others in my genre?
I've never tried to write like I "should" or be like anyone else. Sometimes my posts are full of mundane stuff, sometimes it's serious, sometimes there's exasperation or a little humour. So I think any difference would be in my own voice, in the fact that what you read here is me, not me trying to be something, but just me and my thoughts, fresh from my overheated brain.
Why do I write what I do?
I write about the things that I enjoy, the things that are going on in my life, things I've been thinking about and the things that I want to remember. I think for me it's a bit like a diary, and something that maybe even the children can look back at one day and see what life was like and see what their mother was like. They will no doubt see me in a different light through my writing here than they have when they see a tired grumpy woman at the kitchen sink, or trying to fit in a quick tea between dashing and there. I'm an actual person too!
How does my writing process work?
Often when I post I just sit down and write. Sometimes it flows, sometimes I need three packets of crisps, two cookies and a hot drink and I still only have half a paragraph. If I have something particular I've thought about, very often the idea comes to me in the shower or when I'm walking back from the school run. I'm sure it's something to do with the early morning energy and some calm headspace when I'm not actually occupied with anything. I really need to make more notes when I have these ideas, because often they evaporate by the time I get to the laptop. No doubt lots of them are rubbish, but just occasionally I think a good one gets away. I probably need a new notebook. Yes, definitely, a new notebook. I have a little addiction, in fact the biggest boy was quite cross the other day because I have lots and he doesn't. He tried to get one of my notebooks for himself. I wouldn't let him have it. He said it was madness that I had so many and I wouldn't let him have just one. I said that come the revolution I would be needing all of my notebooks for myself. He said that no notebooks would be needed in a revolution. He's wrong I'm sure. To be on the safe side I shall look out for a couple more. One each. Maybe.
The first blog I've nominated to be next in this hop is
Today's Stuff, written by the lovely Leanne. It's always a complete pleasure to read her posts. She lives in Cornwall with her husband and three sons and writes honestly and humorously about her life by the sea. Do stop by and have a read, I promise you'll be enchanted.
I'm also nominating Kari at
This, Too. Kari lives with her husband in a suburb of Kansas City and her blog is a place of light and happiness. She writes about her thoughts and adventures, and it's also an inspiring and creative place. As well as her day job, Kari has an etsy shop that she keeps stock with lovely accessories, and she blogs about her craft business and shares tips and projects. Hers is a blog I never fail to enjoy reading, so do pay her a little visit if you can.
0 Yorumlar